71st Transportation Battalion Vietnam Veterans 2016 Reunion
Portland, Maine
September 14 - September 18, 2016

Casco Bay Tour - Old Port Tour - Thursday, September 15th, 2016
Boarding The Islander For Our Tour Of Casco Bay
Below - Lighthouses Of Casco Bay
Spring Point Ledge Light Of South Portland
Spring Point Ledge Light of South Portland was built in 1897.   In 1951 the Army Corps of Engineers completed construction of a granite breakwater that connects the lighthouse to the shore at Fort Preble.  In 1960 the
lighthouse was automated.  In 1998, Spring Point Ledge Light Trust accepted a ceremonial deed to formally transfer ownership of the lighthouse to the  Trust.  The US Coast Guard retains responsibility for the functions of
the lighthouse.  It is the only lighthouse in the area you can go up inside (seasonally).  It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Ram Island Ledge Light
Ram Island Ledge Light was built in 1905 to protect sailors from dangerous underwater ledges surrounding Ram Island Ledge at the entrance to Portland Harbor.  It is a twin of the Graves Light off Boston.  The lighthouse
was built of granite quarried from Vinalhaven, Maine.  It was automated in 1959 and converted to solar power in 2001.  It is now privately owned.
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth sits at the entrance of the primary shipping channel into Portland Harbor.  Built in 1791, it's the oldest lighthouse in the state of Maine.  The light station is automated, the tower, beacon
and foghorn are maintained by the US Coast Guard.  The former lighthouse keepers' house is now a maritime museum at the Fort Williams Park, with a gift shop next door.  It is listed on the National Register of Historic
Places.
Snack Time At  Portland Head Light - Fort Williams Park
Lunch break At Old Port
Fort Williams Park
Continuing The Tour To The Old Port Area
SOS
Love Lock Fence
Craig & Randy
Jan & Carol
Jan & Carol
David Covert - Rick Rawlings
Ronald Chavez - Bradley and Doris McInnis
Larry & Carol Neuman
Fort Williams Bay Area
Mike & Kathy Bayne
Tom & Rose LeMoine
Diane - Thelma - Wilfred - Mike
Lilia - Thelma - Anne
Joe Drinon - Tom Poston - Served Together In Vietnam
Lilia Poston & Anne Drinon
Laura - Gonzalo & Veronica - Tony Bracero
Mike Bayne - Rich Morawa
James & Sybil Dowds
Fort Gorges - The structure was begun in 1858, a year after Congress authorized funds, on Hog Island in Portland Harbor.  By the end of the Civil War it was outdated with the invention of the rifle cannon that could destroy
its granite structure.  Fort Gorges is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Currently owned by the City of Portland and uninhabited, it has no ferry service.
Since I Don't Have You - Don McLean - Early 80s
The Portland Observatory is a historic maritime signal tower at 138 Congress Street in the Munjoy Hill section of Portland, Maine.  Built in 1807, it is the only known surviving tower of its type in the United States.  Using both
a telescope and signal flags, two-way communication between ship and shore was possible several hours before an incoming vessel reached the docks.
 The tower was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006; it is
now managed by a local nonprofit as a museum, and is open to the public.
Portland Observatory
Old Port Area